Saturday, September 26, 2009

Recipe: Beer Bread

We've had a couple of soggy, overcast days that left me aching for comfort food. I didn't have much ambition for an intricate recipe, so I opted for a warm loaf of fresh beer bread (a.k.a. one of the easiest recipes in my arsenal). This hearty bread is best right out of the oven, especially paired with a bowl of thick, creamy soup.

Beer Bread
(serves 6-8)

Ingredients
3 cups flour (sifted - this is the key to keeping the loaf soft and fluffy)
3 teaspoons baking powder (omit if using self-rising flour)
1 teaspoon salt (omit if using self-rising flour)
1/4 cup sugar
1 (12 ounce) can of beer*
1/2 cup melted butter (1/4 cup is plenty)

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
  2. Mix dry ingredients and beer.
  3. Pour into a greased loaf pan. (I grease and flour the pan.)
  4. Pour melted butter over mixture
  5. Bake 1 hour. Remove from pan and cool for at least 15 minutes.
*I used New Glarus Brewery's Spotted Cow beer which is - unofficially - Wisconsin's favorite beer. Next time you're in the state, I'll buy you one.

1 comment:

Thanks for commenting - each one means a lot!

Related Posts with Thumbnails