Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Move It


Phew! So much for Sunday being the day of rest! After four hours of moving 40-some boxes with two very helpful friends, I'm officially a resident of Chez Dave. (You didn't think I'd keep his name a secret forever now, did you?)


Of course moves don't come without annoyances. I arrived at U-Haul promptly at 10 a.m. for a four-hour truck reservation and stood in line with other naive, ready-to-move customers who thought the company would be ready for the onslaught. Nope. After a 30-minute wait, the solo U-Haul employee at the counter grumpily told me my truck was still due back at 2 p.m, despite the long wait to get the keys.


We probably could have met the 2 p.m. deadline if the U-Haul truck actually fit a one-bedroom apartment like it boasted. Instead, we had to make two trips - one to my storage unit across town (there went 40 minutes) and one to his our apartment. Eventually I had to call U-Haul to extend my reservation through the end of the day. It's just money, right?


Keeping spirits high during this ordeal is credited to one thing: a large Diet Coke from McDonald's. After spending a fortune on moving supplies, a storage unit and U-Haul, I'm now $400 poorer. Well, make that $401 after that Diet Coke. (And, yes, that's a box of tights and CDs ... about 70% tights and 30% CDs. Priorities.)


Bacon wasted no time using the boxes as his personal jungle gym. He's going to be sorely disappointed when we finally unpack. I expect mews of unrest.


Success is still smiling after a day of moving. Achy muscles and sweat be darned, I'm living with my boyfriend! Holla! (Note the ever-so-appropriate footwear for moving day.)

Now, will you please excuse me while I head back to my old apartment to vacuum five year's worth of dust.

12 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the move and your new pad Jessica! You look great for a woman who went through all that! And junk food is always a nice reward.

    p.s. Just to let you know, I opened my shop on etsy recently.
    http://rambleswithreese.etsy.com
    http://rambleswithreese.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the move, how wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats girlfriend!! And Bacon is the cutest little buddy EVER!

    xo,
    C

    ReplyDelete
  4. WEEE!!! So exciting!!! :D Stupid Uhaul though
    and AWWW Bacon is adorable!
    http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the big move! That is so fun!
    Much love,
    B

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woohoo - congrats on the move and just wow on the new place! I'm so happy for you dear!

    xoxo,
    Chic 'n Cheap Living

    ReplyDelete
  7. Im glad you got all moved in! I've moved 5 times and it is such a pain from what I remember. Your cat is to ocute and even after all of that moving you still look good! :)

    <3Chelsea Elizabeth
    http://www.organizedxxmess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job Jessica and I am so happy for you!! Excited to see your lovely touches on the GUY space.

    xoxo
    Karena

    Art by Karena

    Exciting New $150 Giveaway from Dr Perricone! Come and Enter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. congrats on the big move!! now the fun part of unpacking! xoxo jillian:: cornflake dreams

    ReplyDelete
  10. YAY! Now I am excited for the posts to follow that show how you have made it a place you share vs just his place where you visited :) So fun!

    I've heard lots of stories like that about U-Haul. The worst is when the trucks aren't there yet and the customers wait days until they show up... Horrible!

    I'm glad you survived and I am looking forward to being a passenger along your new adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like quite the ordeal, but I suppose moving always is - can't tell you all the times i've been roped into helping people move!

    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on the move! I just went through what seemed like a marathon moving day with my family earlier this summer and I completely understand what you went through. You never realize how much stuff there is and how long it takes to transport it until you actually do it, right? Well, at least you still looked great and were smiling at the end of the day :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting - each one means a lot!

Related Posts with Thumbnails